One of my ladies brought this to a recent potluck (thanks Concetta!) and I loved it so much I am sharing it with you. The combination of smoky spices and bright colors offers a nice change from traditional potato salad. Loaded with fiber, B vitamins, and beta carotene, sweet potatoes pack a nutritional punch. Try this at your next BBQ and let me know what you think in the comments below…
• 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• Juice from one lime
• 1 tsp chipotle chill powder
• 1 tsp smoked sea salt*
• 1 tsp black pepper
• ½ cup finely chopped red onion
• ¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. Steam potatoes: Fill a large pot with an inch of water and a pinch of salt. Place steamer basket in pot, and place potatoes into basket. Cover and steam for 7 – 10 minutes (until potatoes are just render when poked with a fork). Remove potatoes, spread them out on a large pan and chill.
2. Make dressing: Mix together mayo, lime juice, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion and cilantro.
3. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled, mix them with the dressing. Adjust seasonings to taste. Chill for a few minutes and serve cold.
*I found smoked sea salt and chipotle chili powder at New Seasons. You may substitute regular sea salt if you like.