Are you hosting Thanksgiving this year? Looking for a simple, flavorful, colorful side dish? Check out this SUPER EASY super quick cranberry relish. No cooking required. All you need is a food processor, cranberries, oranges, a squeeze of lemon and a splash of apple juice. So easy even the kids can help!
The orange peels contain most of the ascorbic acid as well as vitamin C, vitamin A, enzymes and fiber so we leave them on for this recipe. Orange peels are known to be a lung cleanser and may help relieve congestion. The health benefits of eating cranberries include immune support, anti inflammatory and cardiovascular benefits, and reduced length and severity of UTI’s.
- One 8 oz bag of fresh or frozen organic cranberries
- 2 small organic oranges (mandarins or satsumas)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup organic white sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp apple juice
1. Rinse and roughly chop and seed the oranges (leave peels on).
2. Rinse the berries.
3. Place all ingredients in the food processor and process until the mixture forms a slightly coarse texture. You may need to do this in batches if your bowl is small like mine. Start with a 1/4 cup of sugar and add as needed to taste. I like this just slightly sweetened.
4. Chill and serve.
This makes 4 – 6 small-ish servings. Double the recipe if you are serving a crowd.
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based Licensed Massage Therapist and Personal Trainer. She offers this recipe to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.