Ok last month I gave you a salad recipe so this month – cake!
My buddy Rachel is a self proclaimed “megan” meaning she is gluten free, dairy free and consumes mostly meat, veggies, fruit and some grains. So my sweetie Jack found this cake recipe for her birthday dinner last month. It was a big hit!
I love that (besides being delicious) the recipe is fairly easy to put together and contains ingredients you should be able to pick up at any grocery store. While I would hardly consider cake health food, the apples provide vitamin C, soluble fiber and powerful antioxidants that have been shown to lower the risk of heart disease, stroke, Alzheimers, cancers and other diseases. Cinnamon has been shown to regulate blood sugar and walnuts are linked to improved brain function. So have an occasional piece of homemade cake and enjoy!
We experimented with sweet vs tart apples and I favored the sweet. The original recipe called for Golden Delicious. The cake has a chewy, brownie like consistency and you really do need to cook it for an hour to get it cooked all the way through. Try this recipe and let me know what you think.
Rachel’s Gluten Free Apple Cake
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 cup light olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 4 small apples – peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 X 13 inch pan (I recommend butter) and lightly flour (I used rice flour).
2. Whisk first seven ingredients (flours to salt) in a bowl.
3. Whisk sugar, oil and eggs in a separate bowl.
4. Stir sugar mixture into flour mixture and combine well. Fold in apples and walnuts.
5. Pour and press batter into pan. The batter will be very thick – use your hands to mush it into the pan.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for one hour, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.