Ok the holidays are over, the sweets are (hopefully) out of the house, the relatives have gone home, now back to a more normal schedule and diet. I did pretty well for the month of December but definitely consumed more sugar then usual. This month I am taking a sugar break, and incorporating more green leafy veggies and whole grains into my diet. This salad is the perfect healthy start to the new year. Try it and let me know what you think.
Pomegranate, Kale, and Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 2 cups wild rice, cooked and chilled
- 4 clementines, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 4 shallots, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make dressing. Place all ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until combined.
- Make salad. In a large bowl mix pomegranate seeds, kale, and cooked rice with the salad dressing.
- Top with sliced clementines, toasted nuts and feta.
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood) Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers this recipe to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.