What is a foam roller?
A closed cell foam tube that measures 36 inches long.
What can I do with my foam roller?
Lots of things! I love these so much I use them every day, in fact when my Pilates ladies arrive for class the first thing they do is gram their foam roller and lay on it.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Release work
- Stabilization exercises
- Spine mobility exercises
- Flexibility exercises
- Core strength exercises (like the Pilates toe dip series)
- Balance training (Lunges, Pushups, Roll ups)
- Upper body strength training (like my favorite series of Chest press, Flye and Tricep extension)
Why do I need a foam roller?
I recommend foam rollers to everyone, from the casual exerciser to the elite athlete. If all you do is spend five minutes laying lengthwise on your roller at night you are off to a great start.
Benefits of using a roller:
- Release muscular tension
- Increase body awareness
- Build functional strength
- Improve your balance
- Increase your flexibility
Has someone you love just started working out? This is the perfect gift! Contact me about picking up one of these for yourself or you loved one. Better yet, schedule a session with me and learn my “top ten” foam roller exercises, including a handy spreadsheet to use as a reference guide.