1) Half Roll Back w/ Twist:
- Sit at the front of your mat with knees bent. Hold on behind your legs.
- Exhale as you pull your belly button in and round your back (do not collapse your chest).
- Inhale as you open right arm to the side and twist to the right. Exhale as you come back to center.
- Now round your back and twist to the left.
- Strengthens obliques, hip and shoulder stabilization, spine stretch, chest stretch.
2) Leg Pull Front:
- From plank position (or hands and knees).
- Exhale as you lift right leg, knee straight. Inhale to lower.
- Switch sides keeping your hips level.
- Strengthens chest, shoulders, abs, back and legs.
3) Digging Trenches:
- Start on your tummy with arms and legs extended into a big “X”. Rest forearms on foam roller if you have one.
- Inhale as you press forearms down into the mat, or roller, and lift upper back and chest up off the ground.
- Exhale as you lower.
- Strengthens back extensors, improves shoulder stabilization.
Here Anne demonstrates this move using the foam roller. This exercise should not hurt your back! If it does, come down, make sure your belly button is pulled in, then try a smaller back extension.
4) Squat/ Side Kick:
- Stand with right side near a wall.
- Squat, and as you stand up stretch your right foot to touch the wall. Start slow, then pick up the pace as your fitness level allows.
- One minute, then switch sides.
- Strengthens back, legs, hips, improves balance.
- Stand near a wall for balance.
- Sit into a low squat and stack right foot on top of left foot, or wrap you right foot behind your left knee if you can do this without pain.
- Wrap right arm over left, or twist arms and touch palms together if our shoulders allow for this.
- Hold one minute then switch sides.
- Stretches and strengthens hips and shoulders, improves balance.