I made this delicious, salty, tangy, sweet, crunchy, perfect for July 4th corn salad last weekend, and for once in my life I stuck to the recipe. Well I did have one avocado on the counter who was screaming “eat me now or loose me forever”, so I sliced it and put it in the salad.
Have you heard I’m now on instagram? It’s true! Smitten Kitchen (where I saw this corn salad recipe) is one of my favorite finds. They have beautiful photos, the recipes are typically easy-ish to follow, and if you click on the photo it takes you right to the recipe.
This is sort of an upside down salad, in that the creamy dressing is on the bottom, and you pile crisp veggies on top. Tajin can be found at most grocery stores (this is the stuff they sprinkle on street corn in Mexico, you can also use it to zaz up a michelada). I made extra of the pickled onions and have been using them all week on eggs, salads, anything that needs a little zing. Try this recipe out and let me know what you think.
Corn Salad With Cojita and Pickled Onions
- 1/2 a small red onion, thin sliced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 oz crumbled cojita cheese
- 1 lime, halved
- Tajin seasoning
- handful fresh cilantro
- small avocado, sliced
- First make your pickled onions (don’t worry, this is really easy). Mix red onion with vinegar, sugar, salt, and water and refrigerate it while you work on the rest of the salad.
- Grill your corn (I do not have a grill so I just rolled these babies around in a hot pan to sear the outside a tad).
- Make your dressing – mix the sour cream, mayo, and cheese, and spread over the bottom over a serving platter.
- Once the corn is cool enough to handle, slice off the kernels and pile them on top of the cheese.
- Squeeze the juice of half of a lime over the corn, and top with pickled onions, avocado and cilantro. Sprinkle with Tajin (or a mix of chili powder and salt).
Hey there, I’m Anne McCranie, owner of Fluid Movement + Massage LLC. I offer this recipe to tickle your taste buds. I believe in eating a variety of whole foods, in season when possible, and sharing delicious food with people you love. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.