I was in Astoria last weekend and the weather was so nice we were able to do a photo shoot on the beach! Here are your April Five. For full written descriptions of these moves click here.
Could you do one minute of these exercises every day this week?
Leg Pull Back:
Double Leg Kick:
Rolling Like a Ball:
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers these photos to remind you of the work you have done with her. Please see your medical professional prior to beginning a new exercise program.
Each month Anne offers five exercises to build strength and increase flexibility. For a full description of the five click here.
Here are your March Five:
1) Crescent Lunge – hold for one minute per side.
2) Pilates Push Up – roll down to plank. Five push ups.
3) Half Moon – stand near a wall for this one if you need balance help. From a lunge tip forward so most of your weight is on your front leg. Hold for one minute.
4) Boat – pull your belly in, lift your feet and hold for one minute.
5) Single Leg Kick – alternate kicking left heel towards your hip, then right.
*this month my mom was here with me and agreed to pose for the five. How cute is she?
Looking for some new moves this month? Fluid Movement & Massage offers five moves each month that incorporate yoga, Pilates, and strength work to help you increase your strength and flexibility. We suggest you do at least one minute of each of these every day.
The April Five
1) Leg Pull Back:
- From seated, press up to a reverse plank with hands under your shoulders and fingers facing forward.
- Exhale as you lift one leg; inhale as you lower your leg back to the ground. Switch sides.
- Shoulder stretch, core strength, hip stabilization.
2) Double Leg Stretch:
- On your tummy, hands behind your back.
- Exhale as you kick both legs in, then inhale as you extend arms and legs and reach out through your chest.
- Back extension, shoulder stretch.
3) Swan Dive:
- Start from a plank with knees down.
- Slowly roll down through your spine onto your pelvis, lower belly then lower ribs.
- Press through your hands to come back up to a flat back position.
- Keep abdominals turned on; think of getting longer instead of gripping with your glutes.
- Strengthens spine extensors, arms, and tummy.
4) Crescent Lunge:
- From standing, step your left foot back into a lunge with your left heel off the ground. Press into the ball of your back foot as you lift your inner thigh towards the ceiling. Right knee stays over your right ankle.
- Lift arms up towards the ceiling and lift your chest to come into a small backbend.
- Hold for one minute then switch sides.
- Hip stretch, balance, leg and back strength.
- Lying on your tummy. Grab your right foot with your right hand and pull your foot towards your hip.
- Slowly start to lift your foot up to the ceiling. Hold here for five breaths then switch sides.
- Quad/ hip flexor stretch.
Have questions about these? I will gladly take you through these exercises or answer any questions you have, just give me a call.