Have y’all been doing your five? Each month I give my clients five new exercises and encourage them to do one minute of the moves every day. Here are photos of this month’s Five to jog your memory.
Click here for a full description. Click here for Fluid’s spring class schedule.
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood) Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers private training as well as weekly classes. Looking to get moving? Contact her today for your complimentary consultation. (503) 705-4762
Holy cow can you believe it is December! Here are this month’s exercises. Last month we focused on maintaining parallel legs and a level, neutral pelvis during moves like the Leg pull and Warrior III. This month we work in a “turned out” or externally rotated hip/leg position for Warrior II, Side Angle and the elusive Crow.
Ah the crow. While technically considered an arm balance you will have much more success with this move if you view it as a core strength exercise.
The photos and basic descriptions below are meant to jog your memory of the moves you have done with me. Only execute the exercises (or variations of) that are suitable for you and your current fitness level. Click here for detailed descriptions of these moves and modifications.
Want to see these in person? Join one of Anne’s six weekly classes or contact her to schedule some one on one time.
1) Warrior II
Side lunge, arms outstretched, front knee over your ankle.
2) Side Angle
From a side lunge, rest your front hand on your leg or a block and stretch your back arm up.
Squat low, rest shins on upper arms, lift your feet.
4) Single Leg Kick
Kick left heel towards your hip, extend your leg. Switch legs alternating left and right kicks.
Prone spine extension. Hold for five breaths.
Anne McCranie is the owner of Fluid Movement + Massage in Portland, Oregon. She offers personal training, small group classes and massage therapy out of her Sellwood studio. Anne encourages the combination of movement + massage to aid in pain relief, build strength, increase flexibility, and improve body awareness. Call her today for your complimentary consultation (503) 705-4762.
Here are your May Five 2013 Exercises. Try for one minute of each of these every day this month.
May Five Exercises
1) Side Angle:
- Start in Warrior II (side lunge) with right knee bent, left leg straight.
- Rest your right arm on your right thigh, reach left arm to the ceiling.
- Hold for five breaths.
- Strengthens legs, stretches hips and shoulders.
- From hands and knees, step back into a plank.
- Make a straight line through your ear, shoulder, hip and knee (drop to your knees if you need to).
- Hold for one minute.
- Strengthens core, shoulders, back and legs.
- Start lying on your tummy with arms by your side. Lift your belly button and slide your shoulder blades down your back.
- Reach back through your fingers and toes. Lift your chest up into a small back extension.
- Hold for five breaths.
- Strengthens back extensors, abdominals, stretches shoulders.
4) Roll Over:
- On your back with legs in the air.
- Exhale as you press your legs up towards the ceiling. Inhale and hold here. Exhale as you slowly roll down.
- Relax your neck and reach through your fingers, keeping arms on the ground.
- Strengthens lower abdominals, stretches hamstrings.
- Sit up tall. Scoop your abdominals to round your low back. Lift your feet and hold on to your ankles.
- Slowly roll back onto your upper back, then roll back up to sitting. Now keep rolling and see if you can pause at the top and tap your feet together three times (seal noise is optional).
- Strengthens abdominals, increases spine flexibility, improves muscle control.