Looking for an easy breakfast or dessert that is sure to please a crowd? This not too sweet crisp is easy to assemble and delicious served warm or cold.
I used a mix of granny smith, red delicious and braeburn apples. Use gluten free oats to make this recipe gluten free. With only 3/4 cup of maple syrup in the filling and 1/2 a cup of brown sugar in the topping the apple and cranberry flavor really comes through and the dish is not overly sweet.
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 Tsp sea salt
- 1 stick (8 Tbsps) butter, melted
- 6 apples cored and chopped into 1″ chunks
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
2. Make topping: In a large bowl mix oats, flour, pecans, sugar and salt. Add melted butter and press into small clumps. Put topping in the freezer while you assemble filling.
3. Make filling: In a large bowl mix apples, cranberries, maple syrup, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon. Pour filling into pan spread it out, pressing the fruit into the corners.
4. Spread topping over filling, evenly distributing it to cover the apple mixture.
5. Bake for an hour, or until the crust is lightly browned and the filling is bubbly. Let it cool for twenty minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based Personal Trainer and Licensed Massage Therapist. She offers this recipe to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.