A surprising number of my clients have food sensitivities or allergies garlic, onions, eggs, dairy and gluten. One of my clients recently shared this summer soup recipe that is gluten-free and has no garlic or onions. This is easy to prepare, healthy, low-calorie, refreshing and packed with flavor!
• 2 lbs (about eight) Roma tomatoes, chopped
• 1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped
• 1/2 a green bell pepper, chopped
• One cucumber peeled, seeded and chopped
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves
• 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
• 2 cups of tomato juice
• 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 3 tablespoons sugar
• 2 tablespoons kosher salt
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 1 tsp paprika
• 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/4 cup lime juice
Combine all the ingredients and refrigerate for one hour. Transfer to a food processor (or use a hand blender) and blend until almost pureed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This soup makes a yummy side dish as is. To make this your main course toss in a few chunks of avocado, 5 or 6 boiled shrimp, a lime wedge, and a few springs of cilantro and serve with a slice of crusty bread. Enjoy!