This was one of my favorite salads at covered dishes and picnics growing up. It is super easy to prepare (and involves bacon!). I like to steam my broccoli for a quick minute so it’s not raw.
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 heads of broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 red onion, chopped into a fine dice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Fry bacon, and let it cool. Crumble into small pieces (this can be done a day or two in advance).
2. Steam broccoli for just barely one minute, then rinse and chill. Seriously, watch the broccoli, you don’t want it “cooked”, just very lightly steamed so it’s a little easier to chew.
3. In a large bowl, place bacon, broccoli, raisins, onion, and garlic.
4. Prepare dressing – in a small bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, mayo, and lemon juice. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture and mix well.
5. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours.
Try this at your next potluck and let me know what you think.