It has been a while since I’ve posted a sweet treat and I decided we are in need of chocolate. Here is THE BEST no bake brownie recipe!
You will need a food processor, an 8×8 pan, and spatula.
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 ½ cups (about 15 – 20) pitted dates
- 1/2 cup, plus 4 Tbsp. cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 2 tsp vanilla, divided
- ¼ cup, plus 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted (plus some extra to grease the pan)
- Optional toppings: 1 Tbsp. walnuts, pinch of flaked sea salt, or pinch of shredded coconut
- Combine walnuts, dates, 4 Tbsps. cocoa powder, 1 ½ tsp vanilla, 3 Tbsps. maple syrup, and salt in food processor. Blend until all ingredients are incorporated into a smooth paste. Now you have your basic dough.
- Lightly grease an 8 inch baking dish. Press dough into dish until evenly distributed.
- Now for the icing. In a mixing bowl combine remaining 1/2 cup cocoa, remaining ½ tsp vanilla, ¼ cup maple syrup, and oil. Stir to combine. Spread evenly over brownies.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours, then cut into squares.
∗Your brownies will be delicious just like this. If you want to give them a crunchy topping sprinkle a few walnuts, shredded coconut, and flaked sea salt on top.∗
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based Personal Trainer and Licensed Massage therapist. She offers this recipe as a “healthier” option to traditional brownies made with flour and refined sugar. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.