Anybody else recovering from an overindulgent holiday? This month I am making a concerted effort to include more veggies and less sugar in my diet.
Are you looking for healthy meal ideas? Try this veggie soup courtesy of my buddy Laura. This soup is so creamy and delicious I couldn’t believe it was dairy free and vegan. Keep reading for the secret ingredient…
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 3 large carrots
- 4 large ribs of celery (plus the inside ribs, with all leaves attached)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large head of broccoli, including stalk
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 small box (8 oz) of mushrooms
- 1 small jalapeno
- 2 cups potato stock*
- 1 tsp thyme
- Roughly chop all your veggies (you will be blending them later).
- Saute in olive oil in a stock pot over med-high heat for a few minutes until they are slightly browned.
- Add potato stock and bring to a boil. Cook until veggies are soft, an hour or so.
- Turn off heat and let sit for a half hour.
- Transfer to blender and blend (NEVER BLEND HOT LIQUIDS) and pour back into soup pot.
- Add thyme, reheat soup and serve.
*potato stock is the leftover salted water from boiled potatoes. This gives the soup a creamy texture. You may also use chicken or veggie stock.
Anne McCranie is a Portland Oregon based personal trainer and Licensed Massage Therapist. She offers this recipe to pique your interest in healthy foods. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.