Looking for a new side dish? Take advantage of fresh citrus with this easy make-ahead salad.
Wild Rice, Kale, and Grape Salad
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup shallot, minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
- For salad: Prep all ingredients, if not already pre-made. Cook rice. Toast walnuts in a 350 degree oven for ten minutes. Thinly chop kale and slice grapes in half. Now put all these babies in the fridge to chill.
- For dressing: Saute shallot on low, in 1/2 tbsp olive oil, for two minutes.
- When cool, place shallot in a food processor with the remaining olive oil, honey, vinegar, salt, and juices. Pulse to combine.
- Taste dressing and adjust seasoning if needed.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, kale, grapes, walnuts and feta. Pour dressing over salad and toss well to coat.
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers this recipe to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.