Need an easy, beautiful, delicious, and healthy sweet treat for your Valentine? Check out this chocolate bark recipe from Lily Nichols aka “The Pilates Nutritionist”. In less than 20 minutes I whipped this together, sourcing all my ingredients from Trader Joe’s!
I love Lily’s food philosophy, and her newsletters are full of great info about healthy eating, fitness, and self care. Visit Lily’s site to find out about her new book Real food for Pregnancy.
Recipe below, reprinted with permission from the author…
Dark Chocolate Bark With Raspberries and Pumpkin Seeds
- 8 oz dark chocolate (I use 2 bars of Theo 85% Baking Bar)
- 1/3 cup raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup freeze-dried raspberries (crumbled pieces are ok)
- Break or cut chocolate into small pieces, roughly ½ inch pieces or smaller. Place in a medium glass bowl.
- Melt the chocolate. You can either melt over the stovetop, by setting the bowl of chocolate over a small saucepan with simmering water and stirring with a spoon until melted (your bowl will need to be larger than the opening of the saucepan and the bowl should not directly touch the simmering water). Alternatively, you can melt the chocolate in the microwave, stopping to stir the chocolate every 20 seconds or so, until melted.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Pour the melted chocolate onto the paper and spread into an even layer using an offset spatula or a rubber spatula.
- Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds, then freeze-dried raspberries. Let cool for several hours on the counter or in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Break into pieces and enjoy!
If you can’t find Theo’s 85% Baking Bar, you can do half 100% chocolate and half 70% dark chocolate and get pretty darn close. Or, simply use whatever dark chocolate you like.
Anne McCranie is a Portland, Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers this recipe to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.