I saw this soup recipe on the New Seasons website and decided to try it out.
It fit my criteria of a short ingredient list, easy preparation, and a healthy combo of protein and veggies. I was temped to add more hot peppers as I really like things spicy, but stuck to the recipe and I’m glad I did. It is just the right amount of spicy. This is a great weekend make-ahead meal, in fact I doubled the recipe and froze half of the soup. I also let it simmer on low for about an hour once I had all my ingredients in the pot.
Try it this week and let me know what you think in the comments below…
Spicy Italian Sausage, White Bean, And Kale Soup
- 1 lb of spicy Italian pork sausage
- 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 bunch kale, washed and thinly sliced
- In a large stock pot or heavy pan brown the sausage for about ten minutes on medium/high heat.
- Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add broth and beans and bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to low.
- Add kale and simmer for ten minutes.
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers this recipe to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.