Are you looking for creative ways to eat up all your zucchini?
Rather than trying to pawn off your bumper crop on your friends and neighbors, try this yummy and easy recipe for zucchini tots (like tater tots, but made with shredded zucchini rather than potatoes – get it?).
The trick to making your tots stick together in a tot like shape is squeezing as much of the moisture out as you can. This recipe (like all my favorite recipes) is easy, with minimal steps and only a handful of ingredients.
Keep reading for the full recipe below.
The basics: Shred your zucchini and dry it out. Mix it with spices, an egg, and breadcrumbs to bind everything together. Shape them into tots, and bake them in the oven.
Serve them with ranch, blue cheese, ketchup, bbq sauce, or your favorite dipping sauce.
Try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Zucchini “Tots” Recipe
- 2 zucchini
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- (optional) 1 tsp cayenne powder
- Preheat oven to 400
- Grate zucchini into a large bowl. Add 1 tsp. salt (this will help pull out the moisture) and let it sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Wrap shredded zucchini in a kitchen towel and wring it out, straining as much of the liquid as possible.
- Dry your bowl, and put strained zucchini back in the bowl.
- Add egg, breadcrumbs, and seasonings and mix together.
- Form into a tot like shape (or a little cube, or ball- about a tablespoon each). This will make about 15 – 20 tots.
- Place tots on a parchment lined baking sheet with a little space between them.
- Bake for 10 minutes, flip them over and bake for another 10 minutes, or until they are crispy and browned on top.
- Serve with your choice of sauce (I’ve been digging Toby’s ranch dressing lately).