Your July Five are here! The photos below are meant to jog your memory about moves we have done together. Click here for detailed instructions. See if you can do one minute of these every day this week.
This month I have extra special guest fitness models Kelsey, Ella and Josie. The weather has been so nice we headed down to the waterfront for these photos.
These girls like to do Pilates at home with their mamma. Look how good they are at the bear crawl!
If you are older than seven this move may prove more difficult than it appears. Start on hands and knees, lift your knees off the ground and try moving forward, back and side to side.
Here’s mamma and Josie doing bird dog, our stabilization move.
The pedestrians and cyclists have become more interesting to Ella…
Medicine Ball Push Up:
And now the ladies demonstrate both a straight leg and a knees down version of the med ball push up.
Look at this sweet face!
This elbow to knee move works your obliques.
I didn’t get a great shot of the ladies doing pigeon so here is Suzanne demonstrating this version, using a block to allow her hips to relax.
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers weekly classes and one on one personal training. Call her for your complimentary consultation. (503) 705-4762
The July Five are up! For detailed descriptions of these moves click here, or better yet come see me for a private session this week. I have a few times available Sunday July 20th, Friday the 25th and Tuesday the 29th. Interested in a class? Click here for Fluid’s full class schedule. Message me and I will hold a spot for you.
1) Criss Cross
2) Medicine Ball Push Up
3) Big Twist
4) Warrior III
Anne McCranie is a Personal Trainer, Pilates and Yoga instructor and Licensed Massage Therapist. She offers one on one training and group classes by appointment in her Sellwood studio. This post is meant to jog your memory about the exercises we have done as a team. Please see your health care professional prior to beginning a new exercise program.
Here are your May Five 2013 Exercises. Try for one minute of each of these every day this month.
May Five Exercises
1) Side Angle:
- Start in Warrior II (side lunge) with right knee bent, left leg straight.
- Rest your right arm on your right thigh, reach left arm to the ceiling.
- Hold for five breaths.
- Strengthens legs, stretches hips and shoulders.
- From hands and knees, step back into a plank.
- Make a straight line through your ear, shoulder, hip and knee (drop to your knees if you need to).
- Hold for one minute.
- Strengthens core, shoulders, back and legs.
- Start lying on your tummy with arms by your side. Lift your belly button and slide your shoulder blades down your back.
- Reach back through your fingers and toes. Lift your chest up into a small back extension.
- Hold for five breaths.
- Strengthens back extensors, abdominals, stretches shoulders.
4) Roll Over:
- On your back with legs in the air.
- Exhale as you press your legs up towards the ceiling. Inhale and hold here. Exhale as you slowly roll down.
- Relax your neck and reach through your fingers, keeping arms on the ground.
- Strengthens lower abdominals, stretches hamstrings.
- Sit up tall. Scoop your abdominals to round your low back. Lift your feet and hold on to your ankles.
- Slowly roll back onto your upper back, then roll back up to sitting. Now keep rolling and see if you can pause at the top and tap your feet together three times (seal noise is optional).
- Strengthens abdominals, increases spine flexibility, improves muscle control.