Its that time of year again! Have you found yourself avoiding your neighbors for fear that they will try to unload their unwanted zucchini on you? No need to hide! Take all that free zucchini, and try this hearty recipe the whole family will love, even the most zucchini neutral people in your life…
Zucchini Boats Recipe
- 6-8 zucchini
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice zucchini in half lengthwise, and carve out the insides with a spoon. Chop the zucchini ‘meat’ and set it aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place zucchini boats, flat side up, on baking sheet.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet or wok. Cook onion for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and ground beef, and cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the marinara sauce, zucchini pulp, and spices. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon beef mixture into zucchini boats. Top each with a sprinkle of mozzarella, then Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley and serve!
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist who loves to talk about, cook, share, and eat delicious food. This recipe is meant to tickle your taste buds. Please see your medical professional for specific dietary advice.