Tom Kha Gai is one of my favorite soups. Spicy, savory and rich with coconut milk this winter soup will warm your bones.
Cooking for vegetarians? Sub veggie stock for the chicken stock and add veggies (celery, carrots, potatoes…) instead of chicken. This recipe is pretty forgiving so feel free to experiment.
- 1 quart chicken broth
- One 15 oz. can of coconut milk
- 1-2 whole dried Thai chilies diced, or a pinch of dried chili flakes
- 1-2 inches of freshly grated ginger
- 2 sticks of lemongrass
- 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 Tbsp of brown sugar
- Juice from one lime
- One small bunch of chopped green onions
- One handful of cilantro
- One thinly sliced red bell pepper
1. Bring chicken broth, coconut milk, dried chilies, ginger, lemongrass (and any additional veggies) to a boil. Simmer for ten minutes.
2. Add sliced chicken breast and cook for two minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, fish sauce, brown sugar and lime juice, and stir to combine.
4. Ladle soup into bowls. Add green onions, cilantro and red peppers (this recipe should make four large servings).