The November Five are here! We started working on these exercises this week in our classes and personal training sessions.
Can you try one minute of each of these moves every day this week?
For a more detailed description of the moves click here. For an in person demo call Anne to set up a one on one session or join an ongoing class.
Half Roll Back/ Twist:
Squat/ Side Kick:
Anne McCranie is a Portland (Sellwood), Oregon based personal trainer and licensed massage therapist. She offers weekly classes, one one one training and movement + massage sessions.
Call her today to schedule your complimentary consultation. (503) 705-4762
Ok we are starting right off this month with a very advanced move. Here Suzanne demonstrates the Crow Pose from yoga, one of your December Five.
Some of my clients are able to just pop right up into this one on their first try, others struggle with it for years. Once you’ve mastered the crow you to will be able to easily hold this position for minutes at a time – talk about the ultimate party trick!
So where to begin? Start with your wide squat or goddess pose.
Then slowly work your hips lower and walk your feet in closer to each other.
Once you can easily get your hands flat on the floor you can rest your shins on the back of your upper arms and think of lifting your hips up rather than muscling up with your arms. Let me know if I can assist you in perfecting your crow or other arm balances.
Who wants sexy summer legs? Shorts weather is just around the corner and these moves are designed to get your gams in shape. Try for one minute of each of these moves a few days this week.
On Friday my courthouse Pilates class got to try out this month’s five and Cindy and Dan
were coerced volunteered to model a few of these for me. Check them out doing the Reverse Warrior and Calf Raises below.
1) Goddess Pose (Wide Leg Squat):
- Stand with feet apart, inhale and arms extended overhead.
- Exhale and bend your knees to sit into a squat as you draw your elbows in and down.
- Make sure your knees stay right over your ankles.
- Builds leg and arm strength, hip flexibility.
2) Reverse Warrior:
- Stand in a lunge (Warrior II) with right foot front, left foot at a 45º angle, hips face the side wall.
- Stretch your right arm up towards the ceiling, rest left hand on your back leg.
- Strengthens legs, stretches shoulders and hips.
3) Step Ups:
- Stand in front of a low step or bench.
- Step right foot up onto the bench, then step back down. If you have healthy knees try jumping up and back down. One minute, moving at a pace that feels challenging.
- Strengthens legs, improves balance.
4) Calf Raises:
- Stand with feet together.
- Lift both heels, then slowly lower. Ten standing on both feet, then lift one foot – ten on each leg.
- Strengthens calves and ankles, improves balance.
5) Chair Pose:
- Stand with feet together.
- Inhale and stretch your arms up towards the ceiling.
- Exhale and bend your knees as if to sit on a chair behind you. Hold for one minute.
- Strengthens legs and back and stretches shoulders.